Monday, March 17, 2014

Time and Thesis

I am currently in the process of writing my M.A. thesis, and, like most people, am finding it to be both a greatly fulfilling, yet also extremely challenging project. There are many things that make this so difficult--the limited and ever dwindling number of months I have to complete it, the incredibly large degree of research required, the pressure to produce something original and meaningful, to impress my advisors, etc.--but perhaps the very greatest challenge has been time management.

Time management. It's something that I used to think I was pretty good at; after all, I've long juggled things like work, school, activism, extra-curriculums, and family responsibilities, and (mostly) succeeded/survived. With the thesis, however, I find myself constantly two steps behind, constantly guilty over not working enough, and swinging back and forth between extremes of complete procrastination or complete obsession. I won't write for a whole two days, but then pull an almost completely sleepless night and write for 12 hours. I'll spend all night laying in bed feeling guilty and stressed about not hitting my page limit, but then get caught up in other responsibilities the next morning and never get to my writing. At my job, I'll spend 8 hours wishing I was at home writing, but then get home and feel too tired to write.

I know these struggles are not unique; they're the great plight of anyone writing a thesis, dissertation, or other large project--especially anyone attempting to do that writing while simultaneously holding a job or other significant responsibilities. My challenges aren't original, but they are personal and emotionally consuming nonetheless. It's terrible feeling like you might be failing at the one thing most important to you--and, that the key to not failing is ultimately in your own hands, but you just can't seem to be smart or disciplined enough to unlock the problem.

The very logical person in me knows that I will finish my writing my thesis. I'll finish writing my thesis because I am a stubborn person with a great sense of drive, conviction, and passion. Right now, however, my main concern is how I might finish my thesis not only in the most productive way, but also the most (mentally and physically) healthy way. Deep down I know I'll reach my destination, but I'd like to make the journey a little smoother. I'd especially like to be able to walk away from this experience not only with a 100-some-page manuscript, but also a set of time management and work skills that I can hopefully rely on, and refer to, for other big things in my life--both within and maybe even beyond academia.

(Suggestions, feedback, and ego-boosting comments welcomed.)

2 comments:

  1. you'll get 'er done! My own experience with long-form writing in limited time frame was doing a 50,000 word novel in a month for National Novel Writing Month, which isn't EXACTLY the same, but what I found in doing that was this:
    Once you find a daily goal that sets a pace you know you can maintain, you can settle into a groove and slowly but surely it will add up. I missed the first 5 days, and had to do catch-up, but instead of trying to cram all the extra work into a day or two to "catch up," I just readjusted the daily goals so it wasn't so daunting a challenge to make up for the lost time; 100 extra words each day is a lot easier to do than 5000 extra words in one or two days.
    Plus I found that it's not worth panicking when you miss a day or two; sometimes the break is beneficial, as it allows the creative batteries to recharge.
    Just keep pluggin' away, we already know you have the ability to "master" this thesis! Everyone's rootin' for you! I know I am, anyways. :-)

    ReplyDelete