Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Still a Novice, Mixing with Experts

This past semester, a professor told me that I am incredibly good at receiving, handling, and responding to constructive criticism. While at first I didn't find this remark flattering (it suggests I receive a noticeable amount of criticism in the first place?), these words from Yoshida Kenko reminded me that I should count this comment as a compliment. Refusing to accept constructive criticism and guidance salvages pride in the moment, but in the end, is only counterproductive. If graduate school has taught me anything, it's that there is always more to learn. I am lucky to be surrounded by people who can make me better.

"A man who is trying to learn some art is apt to say, 'I won't rush things and tell people I am practicing while I am still a beginner. I'll study myself, and only when I have mastered the art will I perform before people. How impressed they'll be then!'

People who speak in this fashion will never learn any art. The man who, even while still a novice, mixes with the experts, not ashamed of their harsh comments or ridicule, and who devotedly persists at his practice, unruffled by criticism, will never become stultified in his art nor carless with it. Though he may lack natural gifts, he will with the passage of the years outstrip the man who coasts on his endowments, and in the end will attain the highest degree of skill, acquire authority in his art, and the recognition of the public, and win an unequaled reputation.

The performers who now rank as the most skilled were at the very beginning considered incompetent, and indeed, had shocking faults. However, by faithfully maintaining the principles of their heart and holding them to honor, rather than indulging in their own fancies, they have become paragons of the age and teachers for all.

This holds true for every art." (Essays in Idleness, Yoshida Kenko)

1 comment:

  1. Kenko speaks wise words here. Humility and persistence are mighty when they walk hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete